Friday, May 13, 2011

"I wear a necklace, cause I wanna know when I'm upside down"

I still keep misreading those big white triangles for opposite direction arrows, and sometimes that's very confusing:

Always misread those triangles for opposite direction arrows

To be honest, I don't even know what do they stand for. My only idea is that it's an invitation to look around before moving forward, so the apex is for the eye and so the triangle is the field of view (sounds like a weird explanation, doesn't it?)

Back in the days when I was still struggling with the left-hand traffic mistaking with the direction when triangles were the only indicators happened more often to me than I'd rather like.

Be careful if you have the same problems.

3 comments:

  1. Well, these triangles usually stand for “Give Way” when approaching to a crossing. But for this photo it makes sense only if it is also a crossing behind you.

    Your explanation is really interesting and appears to be quite reasonable, since the triangle implies stopping at the line and looking around to make sure you’re not jamming anyone approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that means Warning of a Give way ahead.

    I don't hold a driving licence so some obvious things are a mystery to me :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Это обычный знак "Уступи дорогу", нарисованный на дороге.

    ReplyDelete